Updates – Salicylic acid, banana oil labs, and more…

Salicylic acid experiment. You should go into lab on your own and perform the two activities needed to complete this experiment:

1. weigh your product
  2. measure its melting “point”

These operations may be performed on any week day (9 AM – 5 PM) between now and the due date for the lab report: Friday, Oct 18, 5 PM. Work outside of these hours, or on weekends, is not permitted because of safety concerns.

Banana oil experiment. We will start, but not complete, the experiment next week. You can expect to get through the work-up and into the early phases of the distillation. Perhaps you can do even more. Most students will complete the distillation and subsequent characterization steps after Fall Break. To prepare for this lab, you should:

1. Do the usual: read background section in lab manual, prepare your lab notebook, print and complete pre-lab activity sheet
  2. Acquaint yourself with the concepts of workup, extraction, washing, drying, proper use of separatory (“sep”) funnels. The MIT video: Workup I (18 minutes) should be watched carefully. There is also helpful material in Padias.
  3. Acquaint yourself with the concept of distillation. My slides are here. There is also helpful material in Padias.

Homework. The answers to HW #4 have been posted. My readers will do their best to get through these lengthy assignments asap, but they are both taking the Graduate Record Exams (GREs) this weekend and they need to prepare. I have given them additional time to read your work and this may delay return of your problems sets by 24 hours? We’ll see.

The next problem set will be posted sometime tomorrow, but it will not be collected. Answers will be posted next week.

Bring model kit to lecture tomorrow. And please arrive on time since we will be performing a ChemActivity related to Chapter 6.

This entry was posted in Class schedule, Homework, Labs. Bookmark the permalink.