Chem 201 once held weekly problem sessions or conferences (and Chem 202 still holds weekly conferences). Since then some students have asked about what “conference” problems looked like so I have provided copies of the problems (with answers) that I handed out in Fall 2013.
- These problem sets were designed to be worked on by a group of 3-4 students and a single problem set would keep a group occupied for at least 50 minutes. So these are not, as a rule, ‘quick answer’ problems.
- There have been some changes in topic sequence and date since 2013 so you will run into a problem that covers unfamiliar material. Just skip it.
If you would like to discuss this material with me, stop by my office.
- Sept 5, 2013 – Structural formulas & elemental composition | Answers
- Sept 12, 2013 – Answer to Day #3 Challenge | Answers to Day #4 Challenge
- Sept 19, 2013 – Geometry, Resonance, & Molecular Orbitals | Answers
- Sept 26, 2013 – Molecular Orbitals, Conformational Analysis | Answers
- Oct 3, 2013 – Stereoisomers | Answers
- Oct 10, 2013 – Acid-Base Reactions | Answers
- Oct 17, 2013 – cancelled pre-Fall Break
- Oct 31, 2013 – Nucleophilic Substitution Reactions | Answers
- Nov 7, 2013 – Ethers, epoxides, and E1 Elimination | Answers
- Nov 14, 2013 – Eliminations, Alkenes, NMR | Answers