5 Most Useful Things I Brought to College

1) “Light my Fire” Spork
These things are the best. They are a spoon/knife/fork combination but they are dishwasher safe and come in lots of neon colors. I used mine all the time in the dorms-especially when I brought food back to my room only to realize I forgot silverware.

2) Travel Mug
Having cups in your room is great but a travel mug will cover all your beverage-carrying needs. Commons gives you a discount for bringing your own cup, not to mention it’s way better for the environment. Getting an insulated mug is especially great because you can carry warm coffee with you all day long. You can also take them with you into the library, which doesn’t allow open cups.

3) Desk Lamp
You will really want to be able to see what you’re doing and the overhead lighting just won’t cut it. Lamps that can clip to your bed are nice to for late-night reading.

4) Planner/Calendar
Personally, I work best with a physical planner (and the ones in the bookstore are great) but the type doesn’t matter as much as just having a way to keep track of everything. Maybe it’s on your computer, your phone, or a scrap of paper you carry around but regardless, keeping at least a little organized is super helpful. Another perk is that after keeping a calendar for a while you will basically have a diary of all the things you did during the year. It can be fun to look back.

5) Pillow Pet
They just make everything better. Whether you are napping, studying, laughing, crying–it’s all better when you have a happy, cute, squishy animal with you. Really any stuffed animal will be fine but the fact that Pillow Pets can be either pillows or pets is as convenient as it is mind boggling. Also ladies love them.

This entry was posted in Residence Halls, Tips and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.