Meet Julia!

Julia is the new RD for FSM!

Where did you go to school? /What did you study?

I went to undergrad at University of the Pacific, in Stockton, CA. I originally wanted to major in Mathematics, in order to teach calculus, but ended loving my work with student affairs, so I ended up with B.A. in Communications with a minor in Mathematics and English. I went to Miami University (in Oxford, Ohio) for graduate school, where I completed my M.S. in Student Affairs in Higher Education, with concentrations in cultural studies and student development theory.

What drew you to Portland?

The Pacific Northwest is beautiful! Every time I visit Portland or Seattle, I have a number of excellent adventures. Portland has a ton of things to offer anyone looking to get out, and as someone who grew up on the coast, I’m used to the rain, so the weather is right up my ally!

What drew you to Reed?

Reed appeals to me on several levels.  I loved my experience at University of the Pacific, so getting back to a small, liberal arts school was important to me. I also love the students here; they are motivated, critically involved in their education, and extremely bright!

How do you like living on campus?

Living on campus definitely has its perks. I have really enjoyed seeing and talking with students when I see them on campus the last few weeks, and participating in on campus events and traditions is giving me a good glimpse into the campus culture. Commons has excellent food.

Have you found any great places to eat in Portland?

Oh goodness. I have enjoyed every restaurant I’ve tried here so far! I went to Bamboo Sushi, which was excellent. I LOVE sushi, so Portland is a good place to be! I know there are plenty of good Thai restaurants in the area as well, so I’m excited to explore those options!

We’ve heard you like gaming. What are you playing right now?

I play League of Legends a lot! Mainly because it is easy to pick up for an hour or two, then put down.  I also enjoy the teamwork and strategic aspects of the game. I usually play support heros, but I also love playing AD carries and AP mid heros.

Other than that, I play a lot of small games off of steam. A couple I’ve been playing recently include Don’t Starve and Orcs Must Die 2. Finally, nothing can beat a good romp on my trusty N64!

If you could spend 2 weeks anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Right now, I’d love to spend two weeks in Thailand. I have a lot of friends who have spent time there, and I have heard nothing but rave reviews. I’d love to go check it out for myself, and have a relaxing vacation!

If you were going to take 1 Reed class, what would it be?

I think I would take Anthro 307: Power, Subjectivity, and Political Imagination. I am very interested in issues of power and privilege, and this course seems like it would add to my knowledge within these areas.

What’s your favorite treat?

Hmm…That’s a tough one. I have a big sweet tooth, but one of my all time favorites is cheesecake! Any type will do!

What’s your sign?!

Haha. I’m an Aries: stubborn, passionate, fiery. My zodiac sign is the Dragon.

What can Reedies do to make you feel more welcome? What would you like from us?

Everyone has been so wonderful already! I’ve loved the outpouring of welcomes. From just saying hi, inviting me to campus events and programs, or having one on one conversations, I’ve had great interactions. I would say just keep saying hi to me! There are a lot of new faces, and I want to know each and every one of them!

This entry was posted in Just for Fun, Residence Halls and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.