Woolf at Your Door

portrait-woolf-1902

From Professor Jay Dickson:

I wish to invite you to join me this October 9-17 for “Woolf at Your Door: A Tour through Virginia Woolf’s England.” This is a rare opportunity to see the England that informed and shaped its most important and influential twentieth-century novelist.

Charleston FarmhouseIn London, Greenwich, Kent, and Sussex, we will see the places that mattered most to Virginia Woolf, the members of her Bloomsbury circle, and her lover Vita Sackville-West (whom Woolf immortalized in her remarkable novel Orlando). We will visit the leafy squares of Bloomsbury and unusual London museums; view the magnificent Baroque architecture of the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich (one of the important sites in Orlando); see Vita Sackville-West’s two great Elizabethan Kentish manor-homes, Knole, still the largest house in all the United Kingdom, and Sissinghurst Castle, the site of England’s most celebrated gardens; stop at Charleston Farm, the beautifully painted and decorated pastoral Sussex home of Woolf’s sister the artist Vanessa Bell; and end at Monk’s House, Virginia Woolf’s final home in the Sussex countryside that is now a museum honoring her life and legacy. In addition, tour members will have some time to explore London and Brighton on their own.

greenwich_towersI am delighted to host the tour and to provide helpful information on Woolf’s fiction and contexts. Virginia Woolf has been the literary figure that has been most central to my own career as a scholar and teacher. Her writing first prompted me to become interested in literary criticism; my first published essay was on her fiction; I have regularly taught undergraduate and MALS seminars at Reed on her and the Bloomsbury Group; and I am currently engaged on a book on modernism and sentimentality that will prominently feature analyses of Woolf’s work. Please join me this autumn as we spend nine days exploring an undiscovered side of England among some of its most unusual, intriguing, and beautiful sites. See the itinerary:  Woolf itinerary_6.2013

knole_windowsWe’ve heard your concerns about cost, so we’ve lowered the standard tour package cost to only $1450* per person. (Partial-participation and further budget options are also available at a reduced rate; contact Mike Teskey in the alumni office to learn more.)

*Exclusive of RT airfare to London, meals, and transportation from the airport to the hotels.

siss_garden_red

Kind regards,

Jay Dickson
Professor of English and Humanities,
Reed College

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.