Thank-You

As I am realizing that the holiday season is so quickly upon us – I find it so easy to look ahead and wish and want of those things that may have passed me by. So today instead I wanted to take a look back- and reflect on all the great things that have happened to me in these past 103 years and those that have been associated with my comeback. The Reed campus is quiet right now- the students have left my forest for the comfort of home in far away lands, in the meantime Jack Frost continues to intensify his grip around my moss covered trees. The silence on the still air fills my banks- this peacefulness allows for me to reflect on the years gone by and express a deep sense of appreciation for the commitment and investment that has brought me back from the depths of the undesired and unvisited.

IMG_5457 path.jpg

My deepest thanks to you- the Canyon Crew- who for the past13 years have committed to removing the invasive plant materials, re-introduced native flora species and have since created a system for monitoring all ofthese changes over time. Canyon Crew also continues to establish and maintainmy majestic system of trails with hopes to encourage the sounds of laughter and joy as many rediscover the waters that I hold so dear. These Reed students have given me literally their blood, sweat, and tears though the years and have helped shape me into an elite category of wildlife sanctuaries. I can now hear the whispers in the distance of how this collaboration has brought me to a whole new level of wonder and as clear as the water that flows though my narrows – I can hear these warming words of comparison- This gift you have given to me, this restoration serves as a living example to other peoples when asked how to determine potential ‘value’ to less fortunate woods.

And to those that have studied my system of intertwine- with these studies and thesis’s, though the years you have empowered those in a position of decision making, to choose the right path of construct and are considered an intrical part of the success any time kind words are spoken.IMG_9619 blackberry heart.jpg

And to you the community member that walks my trails every week and speaks to my inhabitants praising them for their beauty- I thank you for caring, and picking up the garbage, leashing your dog and taking a minute to touch my trees- pausing for a moment of connection. I’m humbled by your commitment to Canyon Day- this bi-annual event has touched more than I can count- Recognized as Reed College’s oldest active tradition I realize that my needs are more than what one person, one department can take on- so as we celebrate our victories of today I can’t help to look back and appreciate all those that have cared enough to help me in the past. My confidence and beauty are a direct reflection of all your helping hands and kind words-

IMG_7299 stream with log.jpg

So today I write to you not hoping for more or wishing for what was- but in appreciation of what is, and in thanks of all of those that have taken time away from their busy lives to give back, and became an empowered community member- with the intention of creating a sense of ‘place’- I thank you.

Thanks for helping restore healthy salmon runs at the headwaters of my springs- through continued restoration, outreach, advocacy, education, and increased community development- I will continue to give you all that I have and will be here for you in your times of need.

IMG_9562 king.jpg

A sincere ‘Thank-you’ from my fuzzy, finned, and feather friends.

Have a safe new-year and happy holiday season,

Hope to see you soon,

Reed Canyon

This entry was posted in canyon crew, canyon day, canyon restoration, flora, research, sustainability, wildlife in the canyon and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.