HA Superstar 1: Camila

MEDINAMORA

Camila Medina Mora is our first HA superstar! She kindly answered my questions about her experience as an HA and as a Reedie.

This is  my second year as an HA, I am a senior art major, and I use she/her/hers.

Q: What extra curricular activities do you do on campus?

I, alongside two other students who are also HAs (Caitlin and Sidra) signate for FSU. I am also a peer educator and advocate through the SAPR programme.

For FSU I help plan the weekly meeting topics and facilitate the discussion, as well as organise campus wide events and collaborate with other student groups.
Working for SAPR, while challenging, is very rewarding. As a survivor, I find it really healing to help others with similar life experiences and I love the other students I work with. I have also found that the training has made me a better HA, and has been super helpful for programming.

For those who are not familiar, the SAPR program stands forSexual Assault Prevention and Response. They rely partially on the efforts of student advocates like Camila. Visit SAPR at Reed if you are a Reed student interested in becoming a SAPR advocate!

Q: Could you describe your experience of being an HA?

My experience as an HA has been overall really positive. I love the ResLife team and how supportive they have been when I have had issues I don’t feel comfortable handling by myself. I love feeling like I am helping foster a sense of community in my dorm, and getting to know freshmen in a way that, as an upperclassman, wouldn’t be possible otherwise.

Q: Do you think of yourself as an introvert or an extrovert?

I identify as an extrovert, for sure! I think when we took the [Myers Briggs] I tested as 100% extrovert. And while that might be a bit of a stretch, it’s not entirely untrue.

Q: What would you say to anyone who has doubts about applying to be an HA?

I would encourage future applicants to get to know the ResLife team and ask as many questions as they have. We are here to help and we were once an applicant too!
I would also comment on how great ResLife is as a support network.

Thanks so much Camila for your words and your efforts as an amazing community member!

Are you interested in applying to become a House Advisor? Click here to get started!

This entry was posted in meet the staff, Residence Halls. Bookmark the permalink.