5 Different Ways of Staying Organized

We can all agree that staying on top of things is important, especially when you’re managing classes, assignments, extracurriculars, work, and trying to have a social life. Even so, everyone has a different way to keep organized and it’s important to find a way that works for you. Here are 5 ideas to try.

1) Planner

This is the classic way to stay organized and personally, it’s the main one I use. I carry my planner everywhere with me and being able to see my schedule week by week really helps me remember everything. I tend to also obsessively color-code things so I can see at-a-glance which classes I need to focus on. The Reed planners in the bookstore have been working for me recently, but check out other styles like the Do-It-Later: Planner for the Creative Procrastinator if that isn’t a good fit.

2) Online Calendar

Online resources such as Google Calendar are great for updating and viewing wherever you are. You can also share these calendars with friends, making it easy to keep track of scheduling extracurriculars. I used Google Calendars to remind me of all my Hum reading freshman year, and set it to send me an email reminder of assignments a few days ahead.

3) Post-it Notes

So, maybe all the structure of a planner or calendar just isn’t for you. Why not grab a pack or two of post-it notes to keep you on track? Post-its are a great way to remind yourself of important things that need to be done NOW. They are flashy, colorful, and can be stuck anywhere from your desk to your roommate’s forehead.

4) To Do Lists

Sometimes seeing things day-by-day just isn’t the most efficient. Especially when I have a bunch of stuff happening at once, I love to just make a to do list. Listing everything in one spot and maybe even in order of priority guarantees you won’t forget anything. There’s also something so satisfying about crossing something out when it’s done.

5) White Board Calendar

I’m great at writing things in my planner, but I’m not so great at referencing it later. Having a large calendar posted in your room helps you see the big picture and keeps you from missing anything. Whiteboards also make it easy to edit a decorate whenever you like.

This entry was posted in Tips and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.