Bidwell-Aspen Coast Trip!

On Labor Day, I went with the residents and housing advisers from the Bidwell and Aspen Houses in the Grove to take full advantage of the long weekend. We decided to drive out to the Oregon coast to enjoy the sunshine and the ocean breezes. The two-hour drive from Reed’s campus to the small town of Manzanita, OR passed by quickly, but by the time we arrived, we were more than ready for a lunch break. A horde of hungry Reedies stampeded a small Mexican restaurant, and after ordering we walked down the main street to the beach to eat.The wind was a bit strong, but we all sat together, attempting to keep our burritos sand-free. As for myself, I was unsuccessful at protecting my lunch, but I was so starved and so happy to be at the coast that I didn’t mind the sandy crunchiness. While some took shelter from the wind by returning back into the town and buying hot chocolate, others embraced the beachside chills and frolicked in the sand. Although this wasn’t ideal tanning weather, it was perfect for windsurfing. Many locals took to the surf (and the sky), providing awesome entertainment for visiting spectators like us.After some time walking by the water and exploring Manzanita, we piled back into the vans and drove to a lookout point at a higher elevation. A precarious peak jetted out from the main crest of the cliff, creating a spectacular view of the crashing waves. Brave Reedies ventured to the tip of the lookout point, and everyone enjoyed the beauty of the Pacific Ocean. As we snapped photos with our cameras and phones alike, it seemed like it was the ideal ending to a mellow trip to the coast. On the return home, most of us slept, thoroughly exhausted from a fun day of exploration off campus. 

This entry was posted in Events, Residence Halls and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.