GCC/BOSC & Bug Fixing

This week I spent the majority of my time at the GCC/BOSC Conference both volunteering at and attending talks. Most of the talks concerned the software suite Galaxy and how people were adapting it or extending it for different use cases and new applications.  Not having used Galaxy before nor intending to, these talks did not prove very useful to me. There were some talks that concerned more general biological problems and issues within the scientific community. These were accessible to a wider audience and I was able to learn some aspects of statistics and experimental design from them. This included talks on the importance of talking to the community of people who have the particular condition being studied as well as some concerning best practices on handling data.

I spent some portion of time fixing minor bugs in my code for the Bayesian Weighting Scheme. As a follow-up to a previous post, the run time of the code is now down to 2 or 3 minutes at the most. Using sets and tuples reduced the run time by several orders of magnitude and some other time saving measures also contributed to this much lower number. This is now sufficiently within the time frame of the CREU so the code will probably need much more speeding up.  Next steps involve changing the code to weight the PathLinker Interactome to check if the code works accurately as well as parsing through the math carefully.