Note: This will only record a video of your Mac’s screen, but no audio; to record both video and audio, please view this page.
To record your Mac’s video display:
- Go to the QuickTime Player application.Choose File/New Screen Recording.
Click on the red record button,
then choose the screen you are recording (if you have multiple screens).
- Go to the application you want to record the screen activity.
After you’re done recording your screen:
- Go back toQuickTime Player; hit the Escape button on your keyboard to bring up the movie controller, then click on the black square button (stop).
Save your video file. Trim the clip either in QuickTime Player or iMovie.
Screen Capture and Screen Recording Quick Tips:
If recording your screen, clean up your desktop to have your viewer have less distractions, which will help them focus on your content.
- Try to minimize your mouse movements to only those movements that are important to capture.
- Temporarily put all your desktop items into one folder, ideally in a location away from the desktop.
- Temporarily make the desktop background image a solid color.
- Hide your dock.
- Choose full screen (if it’s available) with the application that you’re going to screencapture.
- If you’re recording a browser, close out any tabs that you won’t be using for your screencast or screen capture, and hide any bookmarks.