- Use the best/right microphone (microphones are available from IMC and PARC for checkout)
- Record in the right space (not in loud environment; turn off heaters/AC/radios, ideally in quiet carpeted room; wood amplifies and bounces sound)
- When recording, make sure to drink water regularly, otherwise the microphone may pick up “dry mouth” sounds or noise.
- Monitor the sound being recorded; make sure levels are good (not too quiet or too loud).
- Balance the interviewer and interviewee sound sources. This is an example where the interviewer’s voice is too loud, and the interviewee is hard to hear: https://vimeo.com/103869564
- Balance sound throughout video so that the viewer doesn’t have to increase/decrease the volume to hear all the details. Note the initial loud sound vs the interview sound): https://vimeo.com/96644748