- 25 classes are planned for Fall 2018. M and T classes (‘MT’ in the schedule) cover the same material, as do W/Th classes (‘WR’ in the schedule).
- Labor Day: no lectures MT 9/3-4, no lab lecture M 9/3. Labs meet 9/4-7.
- Fall Break: no classes or labs M-F 10/15-19
- Thanksgiving: no lectures WR 11/21-22
- If you miss your lecture, you may attend the other session. Notify the instructor.
- If you miss your quiz day, notify the instructor immediately. You may not attend the other section without prior consultation with instructor.
- 201 covers Sorrell (textbook) Ch. 1-14 plus some material not found in the textbook. Ch. 1-13 are covered in class according to the schedule listed below, roughly one chapter (2 lectures) per week. Ch. 14 and material from outside the textbook (the latter includes molecular and electronic structure models, and so-called ‘nonbonded’ interactions between atoms) will be covered during lab periods and lab lectures. Lecture-only students should plan to attend relevant lab sessions to learn this additional material (consult the instructor for the schedule).
- Five quizzes will be given during scheduled classes. Each quiz will last somewhere between 20-35 minutes and will be given at the start of class. The remainder of the class period will be used to cover new material. See Exams for more info.
Day 1. MT, Aug 27/28, Sorrell 1.1, 1.2, 1.4a (CHn & C labels only), Supplement
Day 2. WR, Aug 29/30, Sorrell 1.3-1.5, Supplement
Day 5. WR, Sept 12/13, Quiz #1 (classes 1-4), Sorrell 2.4-2.7, Supplement
Slides with notes (download PDF file to your computer; click on pop-up balloons in lower left corner) – Hybrid orbitals and the Valence Bond (VB) bonding model
Day 9. WR, Sept 26/27, Sorrell 4.2b-e, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, Supplement
@Home: classifying chemical reactions
Day 11. WR, Oct 3/4, Quiz #2 (classes 5-9), Sorrell 5.2cdfg, 5.3-5.5, Supplement
Lecture slides | Reading electrostatic potential maps + Factors affecting Bronsted-Lowry acid/base strength
Day 12. MT, Oct 8/9, Sorrell 6.1, 6.3, Supplement
Lecture slides | Factors affecting Bronsted-Lowry acid-base strength (cont’d) + Reaction rate laws and Reaction energy diagrams
Day 13. WR, Oct 10/11, Sorrell 6.2, 6.4, Supplement
Lecture slides | Lewis acids & bases + Steric repulsion in SN2 transition state (models) + Rate laws for 2-step reactions
Lecture slides | Solvents: Polar Protic vs. Polar Aprotic + Carbocations: Methyl Groups are EDG (electron-donating groups)
Day 15. WR, Oct 24/25, Sorrell 7.2, 7.3b, 7.4, Supplement
Day 16. MT, Oct 29/30, Quiz #3 (classes 10-14), Sorrell 8.1, 8.3b, Supplement (covers Days 16+17)
Day 17. WR, Oct31/Nov 1, Sorrell 8.2, 8.3ac, 8.4
Day 18. MT, Nov 5/6, Sorrell 9.1, 9.5, Supplement (covers Days 18 + 19)
Lecture slide | Reagents appearing in Day 18 activity
Day 19. WR, Nov 7/8, Sorrell 9.4, 9.2, 9.3 (optional), Supplement
Day 20. MT, Nov 12/13, Sorrell 10.3, 10.4, Supplement
Day 21. WR, Nov 14/15, Quiz #4 (classes 15-19), Sorrell 12.1, 12.4, Supplement
Day 22. MT, Nov 19/20, Sorrell 11.1, 11.2, 11.3abc, Supplement (covers Days 22 & 23 – color coded)
Day 23. MT, Nov 26/27, Sorrell 11.3de, 11.4, 11.5 (optional), Supplement (covers Days 22 & 23 – color coded)
IR/1H NMR/13C NMR. This material was covered in lab, but some of it appears on Quiz #5 and the Final Exam.
Synthetic Planning. This refers to a special type of “predict-plan” problem in which several reactions must be arranged in a certain order so that a specified starting material (or type of starting material) will yield a specified product.
Day 24. WR, Nov 28/29, Sorrell 10.2abc, Supplement (covers Days 24 & 25)
Extra MO images (HF, CH4, propene)
Day 25. MT, Dec 3/4, Quiz #5 (classes 20-23 + IR/NMR from lab), Sorrell 10.2d, Supplement (covers Days 24 & 25)
MO pictures under construction
MO practice problems (answers embedded in PDF as pop-ups)
Wed, Dec 12, 1-4 PM, FINAL EXAM, Vollum Lecture Hall (classes 1-25 + IR/NMR + phenomena/theories explored in lab) (bring your models)
2013/4 leftovers below. Please ignore.
2014 Lab Day. TWFM, Sept 2/3/5/8, ROCO electron density
Odyssey, Molecular Labs 21, 27, 29
2013 Lab, Sep 10-12, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #1 – Building & sketching models with Spartan ’14
2013 Lab, Sep 17-20, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #2 – Electrostatic potential maps, intermolecular interactions, hydrogen bonding
2013 Lab, Sep 23-26, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #3 – Atomic orbitals, molecular orbitals, electron density, HOMO-LUMO energy gaps, Charge delocalization in resonance hybrids
2013 Lab, Nov 3-9, Sorrell 13.1-13.4