- 25 classes are planned for Fall 2018. M and T classes (‘MT’ in the schedule) cover the same material, as do W/Th classes (‘WR’ in the schedule).
- Labor Day: no lectures MT 9/3-4, no lab lecture M 9/3. Labs meet 9/4-7.
- Fall Break: no classes or labs M-F 10/15-19
- Thanksgiving: no lectures WR 11/21-22
- If you miss your lecture, you may attend the other session. Notify the instructor.
- If you miss your quiz day, notify the instructor immediately. You may not attend the other section without prior consultation with instructor.
- 201 covers Sorrell (textbook) Ch. 1-14 plus some material not found in the textbook. Ch. 1-13 are covered in class according to the schedule listed below, roughly one chapter (2 lectures) per week. Ch. 14 and material from outside the textbook (the latter includes molecular and electronic structure models, and so-called ‘nonbonded’ interactions between atoms) will be covered during lab periods and lab lectures. Lecture-only students should plan to attend relevant lab sessions to learn this additional material (consult the instructor for the schedule).
- Five quizzes will be given during scheduled classes. Each quiz will last somewhere between 20-35 minutes and will be given at the start of class. The remainder of the class period will be used to cover new material. See Exams for more info.
Day 1. MT, Aug 27/28, Sorrell 1.1, 1.2, 1.4a (CHn & C labels only), Supplement
Day 2. WR, Aug 29/30, Sorrell 1.3-1.5, Supplement
Day 5. WR, Sept 12/13, Quiz #1 (classes 1-4), Sorrell 2.4-2.7, Supplement
Slides with notes (download PDF file to your computer; click on pop-up balloons in lower left corner) – Hybrid orbitals and the Valence Bond (VB) bonding model
Day 9. WR, Sept 26/27, Sorrell 4.2b-e, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, Supplement
@Home: classifying chemical reactions
Day 11. WR, Oct 3/4, Quiz #2 (classes 5-9), Sorrell 5.2cdfg, 5.3-5.5, Supplement
Lecture slides | Reading electrostatic potential maps + Factors affecting Bronsted-Lowry acid/base strength
Day 12. MT, Oct 8/9, Sorrell 6.1, 6.3, Supplement
Lecture slides | Factors affecting Bronsted-Lowry acid-base strength (cont’d) + Reaction rate laws and Reaction energy diagrams
Day 13. WR, Oct 10/11, Sorrell 6.2, 6.4, Supplement
Lecture slides | Lewis acids & bases + Steric repulsion in SN2 transition state (models) + Rate laws for 2-step reactions
Learning activity #14 – Nucleophilic substitution reactions of alcohols (ROH -> RNu) & thiols (RSH + R’Lg -> RSR’) | Lecture slides | answers
Day 15. WR, Oct 24/25, Sorrell 7.2, 7.3b, 7.4, Supplement
Learning activity #15 – Nucleophilic substitution reactions of ethers (ROR’), epoxides, and thioethers (RSR’) | answers
Day 16. MT, Oct 29/30, Quiz #3 (classes 10-14), Sorrell 8.1, 8.3b, Supplement (covers Days 16+17)
Learning activity #16 (copyrighted material – no online access, contact Alan for copy) Two-step (E1) elimination reactions, SN1 v E1 for alcohols | answers
Day 17. WR, Oct31/Nov 1, Sorrell 8.2, 8.3ac, 8.4
‘Before class’ models
Learning activity #17 (copyrighted material – no online access, contact Alan for copy) – One-step (E2) elimination reactions, SN1 v SN2 v E2 v E1 for RLg | answers
Day 18. MT, Nov 5/6, Sorrell 9.1, 9.5, Supplement (covers Days 18 + 19)
‘Before class’ models | answers
Learning activity #18A – Electrophilic addition to alkenes I. Strong acid (H+) electrophiles | answers
Learning activity #18B – Electrophilic addition to alkenes II. Halogen (X2) and carbene (:CZ2) electrophiles | answers
Day 19. WR, Nov 7/8, Sorrell 9.4, 9.2, 9.3 (optional), Supplement
‘Before class’ models & ‘After class’ exercises | answers
Learning activity #19A – Electrophilic addition to alkenes III. Boron electrophiles (hydroboration) | answers
Learning activity #19B – Electrophilic addition to alkynes | answers
Day 20. MT, Nov 12/13, Sorrell 10.3, 10.4, Supplement
Learning activity #20A – Electrophilic addition reactions of conjugated dienes | answers
Learning activity #20B – Diels-Alder cycloaddition reactions of conjugated dienes | Diels-Alder animation (ChemTube3D) | answers
Day 21. WR, Nov 14/15, Quiz #4 (classes 15-19), Sorrell 12.1, 12.4, Supplement
Learning activity #21 | Free radical reactions of alkanes & alkenes | answers
‘After class’ models | answers
Day 22. MT, Nov 19/20, Sorrell 11.1, 11.2, 11.3abc, Supplement (Days 22/23)
‘Before class’ models
Learning activity #22 | Organic redox reactions, part 1 | answers
Day 23. MT, Nov 26/27, Sorrell 11.3de, 11.4, 11.5 (optional), Supplement (Days 22/23)
Learning activity #23 | Organic redox reactions, part 2 | answers
Day IR/1H NMR/13C NMR. This material was covered in lab, but some of it appears on Quiz #5 and the Final Exam.
Supplement: IR/1H NMR
Supplement: 13C NMR
Day 24. WR, Nov 28/29, Sorrell 10.2abc, Supplement (Days 24/25)
Lecture slides | Molecular Orbital (MO) model, part 1 – localized bonding & antibonding MO | Extra MO images (HF, CH4, propene)
Day 25. MT, Dec 3/4, Quiz #5 (classes 20-24 + IR/NMR from lab), Sorrell 10.2d, Supplement (Days 24/25)
Lecture slides | Molecular Orbital (MO) model, part 2 – delocalized pi MO
MO practice problems (answers embedded in PDF)
Day/Date/Location to be announced, FINAL EXAM (classes 1-25 + IR/NMR + phenomena/theories explored in lab) (bring your models)
2013/4 leftovers below. Please ignore.
2014 Lab Day. TWFM, Sept 2/3/5/8, ROCO electron density
Odyssey, Molecular Labs 21, 27, 29
2013 Lab, Sep 10-12, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #1 – Building & sketching models with Spartan ’14
2013 Lab, Sep 17-20, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #2 – Electrostatic potential maps, intermolecular interactions, hydrogen bonding
2013 Lab, Sep 23-26, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #3 – Atomic orbitals, molecular orbitals, electron density, HOMO-LUMO energy gaps, Charge delocalization in resonance hybrids
2013 Lab, Nov 3-9, Sorrell 13.1-13.4