- 25 classes are planned for Fall 2019. M and T classes (‘MT’ in the schedule) cover the same material. Likewise, W/Th classes (‘WR’ in the schedule) cover the same material.
- Week 1: Monday = Labor Day so no lectures MT 9/2-3, no lab lecture M 9/2. Labs will meet the rest of Week 1, Tu-F, 9/3-6.
- Fall Break: no classes or labs M-F 10/21-25
- Thanksgiving: no lectures WR 11/27-28
- no lecture W 12/11 (Friday classes meet)
- If you miss your lecture, you may attend the other session. Notify the instructor.
- If you miss your quiz day, notify the lecture instructor (Alan) immediately. You may not attend the other section on a quiz day without prior consultation with instructor.
- If you miss a lab day, notify the lab instructor (Alicia) immediately. You may not attend other lab sections without the lab instructor’s permission.
- 201 covers Sorrell (textbook) Ch. 1-14 plus some material not found in the textbook. Ch. 1-13 are covered in class according to the schedule listed below, roughly one chapter per week (2 classes). Ch. 14 and material not found in the textbook (the latter includes molecular and electronic structure models, and intermolecular forces and related ‘nonbonded’ interactions) will be covered during lab periods and lab lectures. Lecture-only students should plan to attend the relevant lab sessions to learn this additional material (consult the instructor for the schedule).
- Five quizzes will be given during scheduled classes. Each quiz will last somewhere between 20-35 minutes and will be given at the start of class. The remainder of the class period will be used to cover new material. See Exams for more info.
Class Schedule 2019
Day 1. WR, Sept 4/5, Sorrell 1.1, 1.2, 1.4a (CHn & C labels only), Supplement
Day 2. MT, Sept 9/10, Sorrell 1.3-1.5, Supplement
Day 5. WR, Sept 18/19, Quiz #1 (classes 1-4), Sorrell 2.4-2.7, Supplement
Slides with notes (download PDF file to your computer; click on pop-up balloons in lower left corner) – Hybrid orbitals and the Valence Bond (VB) or Overlapping Orbital bonding model
Day 9. WR, Oct 2/3, Sorrell 4.2b-e, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, Supplement
@Home: classifying chemical reactions
Day 11. WR, Oct 9/10, Quiz #2 (classes 5-9), Sorrell 5.2cdfg, 5.3-5.5, Supplement
Lecture slides | Reading electrostatic potential maps + Factors affecting Bronsted-Lowry acid/base strength
Lecture slides | Factors affecting Bronsted-Lowry acid-base strength (cont’d) + Reaction rate laws and Reaction energy diagrams
Day 13. WR, Oct 16/17, Sorrell 6.2, 6.4, Supplement
Lecture slides | Lewis acids & bases + Steric repulsion in SN2 transition state (models) + Rate laws for 2-step reactions
Lecture slides | Solvents: Polar Protic vs. Polar Aprotic + Carbocations: Methyl Groups are EDG (electron-donating groups)
Day 15. WR, Oct 30/31, Sorrell 7.2, 7.3b, 7.4, Supplement
Day 16. MT, Nov 4/5, Quiz #3 (classes 10-14), Sorrell 8.1, 8.3b, Supplement (covers Days 16+17)
Day 17. WR, Nov 6/7, Sorrell 8.2, 8.3ac, 8.4
Day 18. MT, Nov 11/12, Sorrell 9.1, 9.5, Supplement (covers Days 18 + 19)
Lecture slide | Reagents appearing in Day 18 activity
Day 19. WR, Nov 13/14, Sorrell 9.4, 9.2, 9.3 (optional), Supplement
Day 20. MT, Nov 18/19, Sorrell 10.3, 10.4, Supplement
Day 21. WR, Nov 20/21, Quiz #4 (classes 15-19), Sorrell 12.1, 12.4, Supplement
Day 22. MT, Nov 25/26, Sorrell 11.1, 11.2, 11.3abc, Supplement (covers Days 22 & 23 – color coded)
Day 23. MT, Dec 2/3, Sorrell 11.3de, 11.4, 11.5 (optional), Supplement (covers Days 22 & 23 – color coded)
Synthetic Planning. This section describes a special type of “predict-plan” problem in which several reactions must be arranged in a certain order so that a specified starting material (or type of starting material) will yield a specified product.
Day 24. WR, Dec 4/5, Sorrell (IR) 14.3, (1H NMR) 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, 13.4, (13C NMR) 13.5, 13.6, Supplement
Lecture slides | Highlights from spectroscopy lectures previously delivered during lab lectures (read pop-up notes for comments)
Day 25. MT, Dec 9/10, Quiz #5 (classes 20-24), Sorrell 10.2abcd, Supplement
Extra MO images (HF, CH4, propene)
MO practice problems (answers embedded in PDF as pop-ups)
M, Dec 16, 1-4 PM, FINAL EXAM, Vollum Lecture Hall (classes 1-25 + IR/NMR + phenomena/theories explored in lab) (bring your models)
2013/4 leftovers below. Please ignore.
2014 Lab Day. TWFM, Sept 2/3/5/8, ROCO electron density
Odyssey, Molecular Labs 21, 27, 29
2013 Lab, Sep 10-12, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #1 – Building & sketching models with Spartan ’14
2013 Lab, Sep 17-20, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #2 – Electrostatic potential maps, intermolecular interactions, hydrogen bonding
2013 Lab, Sep 23-26, Sorrell 2.8
Molecular modeling activity #3 – Atomic orbitals, molecular orbitals, electron density, HOMO-LUMO energy gaps, Charge delocalization in resonance hybrids
2013 Lab, Nov 3-9, Sorrell 13.1-13.4