The Blue Caftan: A Moving Arabic Film

The Blue Caftan premiered at the 2022 Cannes Festival.

Last month, I saw one of the most moving films. I went into it completely blind—my friends had asked if I wanted to come along to a film festival and I said yes, knowing nothing about what film we’d be watching. Before the show started, commentators talked a bit about Morocco, and the history of the film festival we were at, The Cascade Festival of African Films.

The Blue Caftan was Morroco’s official pick for the 2023 Oscars shortlist in the “International Feature Film” category.

I think going in blind was a blessing, had I seen the trailer I wouldn’t have been able to see how subtly the film sets up its central narrative. The film has absolutely beautiful cinematography, fantastic performances from the small cast, and attention to detail that absolutely encapsulates a viewer.

The film follows Halim and Mina, a couple that runs a traditional caftan store in one of Morocco’s oldest markets. Caftans, worn worldwide, hold special significance for women in Morocco, especially when made of high-quality fabrics. Throughout the film, customers often come to Halim and Mina for wedding garb.

A young man begins working at the shop with them, and his presence forces the couple to confront truths in their relationship but also leads to a beautiful story about loving, loss, and caring for one another. The film is in Arabic and is directed by Maryam Touzani.

Touzani won Best Director at the Chicago International Film Festival, the film won the Grand Jury Award at NEWFEST 2022, and received awards at VIFF and TIFF, respectively.

I highly recommend this film not only for those learning Arabic but for anyone looking for a good movie. Although it hasn’t yet been released to the public, the film has occasional screenings in Portland, and I’m attending to bring a screening to Reed. Until then, add it to your watch list and check out local Portland film festivals!