Hi, This is Alan Shusterman, your Chem 201 instructor.
Classes get underway tomorrow and the first o-chem lecture will be in Eliot 314, but o-chem will actually start earlier in the day for some of you. Confusing? Let me tell you exactly what you need to know.
Lecture this week. There are two lecture sections for Chem 201 this year: MW 3:10-4:30 & TuTh 10:30-11:50. Both meet in E314. The caps have been lifted a bit in order to make room for 82 students (45 in MW F01 and 37 in TuTh F02). Please attend only the section that you have registered for. If you are still trying to add this class, you must come see me and persuade me to sign an ADD form because online registration is closed.
CLICKERS this week. I plan to use clickers starting on Day 1. Bring your clicker to every lecture. If your clicker needs to a little tender care or a juicier battery, take it to the Bookstore on Monday morning. If you can't find your clicker, you can buy one at the Bookstore.
>>> LAB THIS WEEK <<< Labs will meet every day this week, starting tomorrow. We have four lab sections for Chem 201 this year: MTuF 1:10-5:00 and Th 12:30-4:20. Lab lecture takes place in Psych 105 for all students on F, 9-9:50. Please attend only the section that the Registrar has placed you in. (Note: the Registrar reassigned several students to new lab sections last Friday nite so your schedule may have changed.) If you were on a waiting list or if you would like to change lab sections, you will need to come see me and persuade me to sign an ADD form. If you absolutely cannot make it to your assigned lab section, then please come to the section that you would like to be in. Here's our tentative lab schedule for this week:
- 1:10 PM. Gather on the Chemistry loading dock and receive instruction in use of fire extinguishers. Please sign the training sheet so that we know you have completed this important task. After you finish on the loading dock, head directly to C209 and wait for everyone to arrive.
- 1:30 PM. Gather in C209, the O-chem lab, to meet your instructor and lab TA and receive up-to-date instructions for the rest of the day. (Afternoon schedules have not been finalized because of ongoing last-minute renovation/installation work and schedules may even change during the week. Make sure you attend your 1:30 session for up-to-the-minute instructions.)
- 1:30-3:00 PM. Read sections in the online Chemistry Safety Manual that apply to Chem 201/202 students. (You can do this prior to lab if you like.) Sign the Safety Statement and complete the two-page Safety Quiz (these were emailed to all students yesterday, Sa Aug 25).
- 3:00 PM. Gather again in C209 with your instructor. Bring your signed Safety Statement and your completed Safety Quiz – we will go over the Quiz together and this will be an opportunity for you to ask questions about the lab and safety. Give your Statement & Quiz to your instructor.
- 3:30 PM. Gather in C203, the department computer lab, for training in molecular modeling with Spartan. This will be a brief exercise that will probably take no more than 20-40 minutes. This period will be supervised by your lab TA.
The 1:10 and 1:30 parts of this schedule are set in stone. The other two parts may change from one day to the next.
If for some reason you miss out on any of these events, contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as you can so that we can make alternate arrangements. I expect every 201 student to complete these tasks by the end of the week.